Friday, December 08, 2006

I will be starting at a new school in about a month's time. Emak has been checking out so many schools lately. I think she must have called up and read about 30 schools in total. My parents feel that I should attend a playgroup before I start kindergarten. They want me to pick up some social skills and Nenek has been telling them so many times that I need friends my own age. This school is going to be different from the classes I've been attending as I will be on my own. No more Emak or Ayah or Nenek in the classroom with me.

We went to check out one school last week. Emak was quite excited about it but she told Ayah to check it out first. Ayah came home with a good report of the school so the very next day, all three of us went there. Emak was happy with the facilities and the programmes offered by the school but she was very bothered that some of the teachers seemed so unenthusiastic. I wasn't really interested in the school too. I just stood near them and was quite happy to leave the place.
So it was back to square one. Emak started calling other places and making so many enquiries and she found one she liked as it follows a play-based curriculum and the objectives of the International Baccalaureate PYP. She called the school and spoke to the principal, then she got Ayah to speak to the lady, Mrs D. Ayah made an appointment with Mrs D and he was advised to take me to the school to test my reaction so this morning, the three of us went to check out the school.

The minute Mrs D brought us to the toddlers' classroom, I went straight to the teachers and children and started playing like I was already a student there. I made myself feel at home while my parents had a chat with Mrs D and we found out that Mrs D is Irish. She must be the first Irish woman I've met. She won't be teaching me, though. But all the teachers there are really, really nice and I really, really liked it there so much I refused to go home!

Since the school subscribes to a play-based curriculum, I will be doing nothing but play! No worksheets, no books, no spelling tests! (Ayah is extremely against spelling tests and worksheets.)And they're going to teach Maths through cooking! (And they serve organic food during snack time.Hehe.) I also heard Mrs D mention dancing, storytelling,art and crafts, pretend play, indoor play, outdoor play, water play, sand play and PLAY PLAY PLAY! Cool!!! Now I can't wait to start school!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your school name is a mouthful, Tata.. but cool huh you get to play at school.. maybe can request Mrs D to teach you Irish stepdance too.

Tata said...

alya, after she teaches it to me, i will teach u ok? i know u love to dance. maybe we can get her to teach us to dance to the tune of "chicka chicka boom boom"!