Friday, July 28, 2006

Yesterday's therapy was terrible. It was really really awful. The minute I was outside the office, I cried because I recognised the place! When Emak insisted that I go in, I cried even louder. I even tried to reach for my shoes so that I could put them on and leave the place but Emak tried very hard to stop me. We couldn't go into the therapy room immediately as Joanne was attending to another patient so Emak decided to take me outside her office for a while, in an attempt to calm me down. I was really desperate to leave the place, so much so that I uttered every single word I could in the hope of impressing Emak so that I could get away from that place, but it was to no avail! When I saw Joanne coming out of the room, I cried and cried and refused to allow her to touch me.

Joanne said something to Emak and she was talking about "throwing me into the deep end". Then she carried me into the therapy room and locked the door! There I was, all alone with Joanne, with no one to rescue me. So I cried and I screamed and I cried so hard, I vomitted!!! Yes, I vomitted my entire dinner and the whole room was dirtied by my puke. Only after that happened was Emak allowed to come into the room.

I hugged her as soon as I saw her, sucked my thumb and stopped crying. I simply didn't understand why I had to endure such torture. Then Emak and Joanne had a discussion and Joanne said that at this point, there are 2 options available. Either I continue with therapy( and she said I would really improve if I do ) or we stop therapy for a couple of months and come back when I'm ready.

Emak told Joanne that it pained her to see me cry like that and she made a decision to try out the strategies with me at home and so I don't have to attend therapy for a while! Yahoo! But Emak is now going to be my therapist and I have no idea what she will be up to!

In retrospect, the therapy sessions have helped because I am more willing to use words to communicate and I am saying more words that I used to.

According to Emak, she will give it a try for a while (being my therapist) and we will decide from there what to do next.

Until today, Nenek doesn't understand why my parents are paying so much for me to be tortured and she feels that they should just let nature take its course......

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tata 1 : Emak 0! Hurrayyyyyy to toddler powerrrr!!! You're in a better position now coz you'll have your nenek as your firm supporter, maybe your uncles and your Ayah, the weakest link in the family at your corner. Now all you need to do is dazzle Emak with your toddler talk so she won't send you to for therapy anymore.

Anonymous said...

What your emak is doing is good for you. Not just the therapy, but the way it was "forced" on you. Daddy believes that too. He says sometimes we need to be pushed and "extreme" measures need to be adopted, which unfortunately the older generation just don't get.

I guess my parents have been equipped with so much more information than their parents ever had, so it's difficult for the older folks to understand why their grandchild is being treated like that.

Tata said...

Alya, Emak told me that if I show tremendous improvement then she won't send me for therapy anymore. I'm sure Ayah will be happy too cos it means he doesn't need to spend money. Hehe.

Tata said...

Ajab, my mother so totally agrees with you. But I think people like my Emak and your Daddy will be labelled as cruel. Haha!

Anonymous said...

All hail Kaiser Daddy and your mummy, Tata! Hehe!! But it's not all bad. Some of my parent's methods, although would seem cruel, do actually work. :)

Tata said...

Kaiser daddy? It's more like Kaiser-ess mummy! hahahahahah

Anonymous said...

I shudder at the thought of me being sent to the therapist if I can't utter a single word at a certain age. :/ That's why we have a Union of Babies!

Tata said...

aisyah, as long as you dont have a kiasu mum i think u shouldnt worry....hehehehe