It was only 4 weeks ago when Uncle Man broke the news to Emak and Nenek. He's been offered a job with some giant American MNC and he told them that he would be relocating. When Nenek heard the news, she was devastated and her first question to him was who was going to iron his clothes for him!!! Nenek cried for a few days after that and each morning, she woke up with swollen eyes. I'm sure Nenek will be crying herself to sleep tonight. She has always wanted all her children to be near her. When my grandfather passed away many years ago, Nenek raised her 3 children single-handedly. Emak was 15 at that time, Uncle Man was 9 and Uncle Larry was only 6. All her 3 children have always been close to her and Uncle Man has always been the more favoured one. I hope Nenek will be alright. Uncle Man has promised to call her often and he'd better do that or I will not be nice to him!
At the airport, while everyone was just hanging around, I decided to do Changi Airport a service by cleaning the floor for them, which annoyed my parents, of course.

As expected, when it was time for Uncle Man to leave, Nenek cried! Nobody else did. Not Emak, not me, not even Auntie Sandra. Maybe it hasn't sunk in yet but I'm sure, very soon, we will miss him. Uncle Man carried me and gave me a hug before he left, and as if I knew, I actually patted his back, as if telling him that everything would turn out fine.
Uncle Man, Emak wanted to tell you something before you left but she was afraid she would break down and cry if she were to tell you in your face so she has asked me for permission to post whatever she wanted to say in my blog.
Dear Man,
I'm sure you must be squealing in delight at the new found freedom. I'm glad you're making headway in your career and I fully support your ambitions. You know I always have. Can't belive that it's been a year since you graduated and in a span of one year so many good things have happened to you. I'm very proud of what you have achieved although I've never really told you so. Oh shucks, I'm tearing. Can't let Bobo see it or he will laugh at me!
I can still remember those days when I had to "rescue" you from all those teachers AND principal, no thanks to you for always getting into trouble while in school. I felt like I was looking after a son, not a brother. And those times when you would irritate me for no reason! And I will never forget how you poked my hand with a pencil! It's been so many years and the mark is still on my hand! You little idiot! I know you can't remember it ever happened and you will always deny it but it's true, ok! I think you were around 5 or 6 years old. You were such an imp back then. Remember how Emak hit you with her slippers because you told her you were going to the shop when you actually went to play football? And remember your stupid haircut and your Benhur clothes when you were in Sec 2? Those were the days!!!
Hey, little bro, I will keep my promise, don't you worry. I will take good care of Mak for you. Haven't I always? But you make sure you call her often, alright? No matter where you are, make sure you remember me, ok? Remember me not because I supported you through university AND junior college AND secondary school. Remember me not because I paid for your exam fees AND tuition fees AND hostel fees. But remember me because you strongly believe that even if you were to live your life all over again, you will still want to have me as a sister. I love you. Tata loves you. We all do. Take good care.
Sincerely,
Kakak a.k.a Pet
2 comments:
awwww...i think that was a v sweet message..v touching.
all the best to uncle MAN!
thank you, anonymous..
Post a Comment